Monday, February 18, 2013

CBR V Review #12: I Feel Bad About My Neck by Nora Ephron

Sometimes I think that not having to worry about your hair anymore is the secret upside of death.

So...this book happened.  This was another audiobook, and it was read by the author.  Unlike when Mindy and Tina read theirs, I felt like a bit of this was hindered by the odd cadence to Nora's voice.  It was occasionally off putting for me.  So tip one - if you want to read this, pick up a copy instead of listening to the audio version.

I know I've already compared this to Tina's and Mindy's memoirs, and it's hard not to.  All three are comedic, and all three were audiobooks read by the author.  The problem with this comparison is that Mindy and Tina are much closer to my age, and as such, Nora suffers by comparison.  She writes in a way that I imagine is wonderful for women a decade or more older than I am.  My mother, for example, loved this.  And I can totally see that.  But whereas the lives of Tina and Mindy felt at least vaguely familiar to me, I had nothing in common with Nora.

This is not to say this is a bad book.  I love Nora Ephron - she built a beautiful career making movies I adore.  But she also wrote this in her later years, and being in my twenties, we don't exactly have a lot of overlapping perspectives on the world.  I don't honestly remember laughing out loud at anything in this one, though some of her stories did put a smile on my face.

Final thoughts? Not a bad book, but a much better choice for a different demographic than my own.

No comments:

Post a Comment