Wednesday, February 6, 2013

CBR V Review #9: Bossypants by Tina Fey

“I was a little excited but mostly blorft. "Blorft" is an adjective I just made up that means 'Completely overwhelmed but proceeding as if everything is fine and reacting to the stress with the torpor of a possum.' I have been blorft every day for the past seven years.” 






I listened to this memoir of the fabulous Ms. Fey on audiobook, read by the author herself.  And I loved it.

Tina is a delight, which I'm pretty sure most of the world is aware of by now.  This was such a lovely, funny, humble look at her own life.  As a performer, all of her stories of working in Chicago and New York were so relatable to me.  I loved the relationships she had at the performing arts summer school, and her experience with Second City.  I just loved all of it.  There were parts that I could relate to less, as I am not the same age as Tina, but even those were written so amusingly that I laughed anyway.

I will say, there are some flaws in terms of her reading of it.  She has the tendency to drop off the volume of her voice at the end of some phrases, and speed them up.  As such, I found on occasion that I had no idea what she just said.  It's a small thing, but it happens frequently, so it's worth noting.  It doesn't really take away from the experience of listening to the book for me, but if she were to write another (and I hope she does!) I'd love it if she didn't drop off like that.  It's hard to rewind and change volume quickly while you are driving!  So mostly I'd just miss those little nuggets and be sad.

A fun, quick read that I highly recommend, especially if you are a fan of any of her previous work.

No comments:

Post a Comment